HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/19/10

FEAR



Fear has a wide range of degrees, from simple caution about a situation to extreme terror or phobia. Our response to fear can range from consciously shaking it off like after someone accidentally startles us, to a subconscious response such as nightmares or flash backs after an extremely distressing incident. Fear can be helpful if it leads us to taking proper precautions, such a not walking alone in an unfamiliar dark alley. However, fear can also be paralyzing or unhealthy such as when someone has agoraphobia, the fear of leaving one's home. There is a whole host of related emotions such as apprehension, worry, alarm or anxiety. Over focusing on a fear can be very disabling.

Fear is an emotional response to some kind of threat. The things we are afraid of are also wide-ranging and can be real or imagined. It can be as simple as an object or thing such as bugs or mice, or a threat to our health such as fear of contracting cancer. Situations can cause fear such as impending danger, possible pain, being in an intimate relationship, taking a risk, or wondering what the future holds. The list is endless.

What are your fears? Are they healthy in that they keep you safe or move you to a beneficial action, or are you so wrapped up in anxiety that you are unable to move forward and be of service to God? If they are unhealthy, you can turn them over to God and ask him to remove them.

Amid disquieting dreams in the night, when deep sleep falls on men, fear and trembling seized me and made all my bones shake. (Job 4:13-14) ...But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. (Job 5:8-9)

But fear can also mean awe or reverence as when we refer to fear of God. This is certainly a healthy fear and is described in many places in the Bible. It involves thanking, obeying, serving and worshipping him.

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:28-29

Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in his ways. Psalm 128:1

This is not to say we are afraid of God, for he promises strength and protection from our fears:

Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.” Isaiah 35:4

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Our God is an awesome God. May He be with you in all that you do, remove your unhealthy fears, and allow and empower you to be of help to Him and to his kingdom!

Infinite God, thank you for giving me the strength and help that I need every day. I ask you to remove from me these fears.... and help me to grow in my service to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
 
Written by Jan A.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of wisdom here Jan. Fear is a way of keeping us from being the best we can be. I like the saying, "Feel the fear and do it anyway." Fear is not of God and is to be resisted.

    Thanks and blessings!

    ReplyDelete