HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/13/13

Fishing in Frustration....Monday

I think earthworms are fascinating to watch in the garden; or in a student's "worm farm" assembled for a science project. But don't pass me a coffee can of worms and suggest I bait a hook. Not happening! Even if a loyal fisherman baits my hook for me, I keep that end of the fishing pole far away from me; and not just for safety reasons.

That's probably enough information for you to figure out that for the most part "I don't fish." But I heard a message this weekend that made me realize that we are all fishermen. Stay with me for a minute, and see if you agree.

When Christ was crucified on the cross the disciples were an emotional and spiritual mess. Everything they had come to believe as true, and right, and part of God's plan, now appeared to have ended in the worst way possible. I can imagine how crushed in spirit, and downhearted they were feeling. Peter, the impulsive and passionate disciple, was facing his own failure as a follower of Christ. He had, as Jesus said he would, denied Christ 3 times in one night after emphatically protesting that he would never do such a thing.

So, when everything Peter has believed in has come crashing down around him, and there is no light visible at the end of his tunnel of failure, he decides to go back to the only thing he knows how to do. Fish. Jesus had called Peter to "Come, Follow Me" at the edge of the Sea of Galilee (see Matthew 4:18-20). Now that Peter had failed at following Jesus, he decided to go back to his old life. He announced his intention of going fishing and some of the other disciples chose to join him. They fished all night. They caught nothing. They were fishing in frustration.

When I have faced set backs, betrayal, rejection, and more often, my own failure, I have wondered if I had really heard from God. Was I even doing the thing I was supposed to be doing? Because, surely, if I had followed God's plan, I wouldn't be facing these circumstances or a dark tunnel of failure. So, to boost up my own self-esteem, and to pull myself up by my bootstraps; I have gone back to doing something, anything, that I know I can do. That activity, project, or relationship, where I am reasonably assured of having success. That's when I realized that I was just like Peter.


Now, back to Peter's experience. In the early hours, Jesus appears on the shore line and calls out to them asking if they have caught any fish. They answer "no"; not knowing who is on the shore. The Man on the shore suggests they throw their net on the other side of their boat. I suspect these "fishermen" didn't appreciate his advice, they had been professional fishermen, after all. But they do, and the net is so full they can barely hold onto it and haul it to the shore. It is John who recognizes that it is Jesus who is waiting for them.

Impulsively, Peter jumps out of the boat and into the water and heads to Jesus, he is so impatient. I imagine a mixture of relief at seeing Jesus, joy that He is somehow alive, and shame of his own actions are flooding through Peter as he rushes to Him. Then, instead of rejection or judgment, Jesus has a fire, fish, and forgiveness waiting for Peter (see John 21:15-19).

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?”
He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep."
John 21:17 NIV

The next time I realize I have fallen back into old habits and ways I will stop and carefully review what I might be reacting to in my circumstances. I will ask God to show me my true intentions and the attitudes in my heart. Because until I let God do things His way in my life, my heart, and my mind, everything I do, every effort I make, will just be me fishing in frustration.

Dear Lord, thank You Lord for knowing me better than I know myself. Thank You for assuring me that You know that I love You but that the lessons (circumstances) in my life are to help me to see and recognize when I am sitting in the boat of my old life. Please give me the faith and courage to follow Peter's example, to jump out of the boat of familiarity, and use all of my strength to follow You. In Jesus name, amen.

Click here to hear Tenth Avenue North perform the encouraging song "You are More":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtcwQwgdsA

Written by Mary M. Wilkins



3 comments:

  1. I hate fish...it never crosses my lips and to go fishing is out of the question. Or is it? This kind of fishing is of a different kind...fishing for men. At the end of the day I love to look at fish and these fish would be so precious.
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, good one Mary! Been there, done that, now hopefully will remember to avoid that thinking from now on - I'm encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "..to jump out of the boat of familiarity.."

    Wow, Mary! What a powerful illustration. There is a whole world of the unknown beneath the surface. The only chance to experience what the world cannot is to jump out!

    ReplyDelete