HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/22/11

Thursday Devotional...12/22/11

What is my Responsibility?

It’s only a few days, or “Three more sleeps ‘til Christmas,” to quote Kermit the Frog in his movie The Muppet’s Christmas Carol. Please tell me that some of you are still grocery and gift shopping! Although, I don’t know why I am begging for your reassurance since the crowd of shoppers everywhere I go is proof that I am not alone in my last minute endeavors.

Bell ringers next to Salvation Army kettles are still out in full force. They are a reminder to me that 13% of the American population lives below poverty level. No matter how tight my holiday budget is, I do still have one. Then why, as I dig in the mess that is also known as my purse, am I wondering if I have some One Dollar bills so I don’t have to give that crisp twenty that is sitting neatly in my wallet?

Deuteronomy 15:9-11
The Message (MSG)

7-9 When you happen on someone who's in trouble or needs help among your people with whom you live in this land that GOD, your God, is giving you, don't look the other way pretending you don't see him. Don't keep a tight grip on your purse. No. Look at him, open your purse, lend whatever and as much as he needs. Don't count the cost. Don't listen to that selfish voice saying, "It's almost the seventh year, the year of All-Debts-Are-Canceled," and turn aside and leave your needy neighbor in the lurch, refusing to help him. He'll call GOD's attention to you and your blatant sin.


10-11 Give freely and spontaneously. Don't have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers GOD, your God's, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures. There are always going to be poor and needy people among you. So I command you: Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors.

After I read this section of scripture, I laugh as a stubborn and rebellious thought comes to mind, but who is my neighbor? The enemy isn’t going to trick me on this one (see Jesus’ definition of who your neighbor is in Luke 10:25-37 as a reminder). Surely it was these very principles of Christian living that Charles Dickens was thinking of in A Christmas Carol when he had the ghost of Jacob Marley cry out to Scrooge “Mankind was my business! The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business!”

Dear Lord, here is more proof that selfishness remains within me. I know You will take care of all of my needs and yet I grasp the little I have as if I have forgotten that You gave it to me in the first place along with many other good gifts. Please cleanse me and plant in me Your compassion. Please forgive my hesitation to act in faith and help me to do what is my business. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins












No comments:

Post a Comment