HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/7/11

Thursday Devotional...12/8/11

Who Am I Battling?


I am naturally very sensitive. The slightest inflection or tone has me wondering if I’ve done something wrong. Even when people honestly don’t mean anything personal, I have been the master of taking it personal. Then when someone does mean it personally, I am their victim, fully accepting the words they send out – even when there is no truth in them.

It was an eye-opening experience to realize that my very sensitivity was being used against me by my enemy, the Devil. I look back and laugh in embarrassment and sorrow at how hard it must have been to have a conversation with me.

“Mary, I’m wondering if you could try doing it this other way.”

“What? Am I doing something wrong? Don’t you like this? Why don’t you like it? I thought this is what you wanted. I am doing it your way!” I would answer, missing the whole point and putting my boss, friend, or husband in the awkward position of having ‘rejected’ or ‘judged’ me when that’s not what they were trying to do at all.

That’s the reality of being ‘in the flesh’ and not having the ‘mind of Christ.’ I was susceptible to every emotion, every word, and every mood of everyone around me. I knew I needed to ‘not care’ about what other people said, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stay off the roller coaster ride of what other people thought of me.

I know that my value and my worth (and yours for that matter) are not dependant on what others think of me. That God sent His son Jesus to save me (and anyone who will believe) from my sins, sickness, disease, brokenness, and weakness. Although I can say I believe it, and know in my heart that it is true, how could I get my mind to accept it?

For instance, it was total freedom to learn that just because a thought occurred to me didn’t mean it had some special meaning or power over me. What was true and is oftentimes still true today, is that where my emotions are kept in my mind, is a junk drawer. It isn’t a useful place full of all sorts of handy odds and ends, but more like a trash bin loaded with broken and wrong thoughts. Just like when I discover trash and dirty dishes in my kid’s bedrooms and make them clean it up – that’s what I need to do with those incorrect thoughts in my mind.

Who am I battling? I would usually say me, that my flesh and my bad habits and my incorrect thought patterns are my worst enemies. But God’s Word says we battle not with flesh and blood but with spiritual beings in heavenly places. We have an enemy who is sneaking around looking for some distracted or guilt-ridden person whom he might be able to trick, trap, or tempt. How can I escape from him?


Ephesians 6:11-13 (The Message)

A Fight to the Finish

10-12 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

13-18 Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

Dear Lord, Thank You for opening my eyes that the real battle is happening in an invisible world. Please help me to recognize incorrect thoughts and be brave enough to get rid of them. I desire to learn how to apply your weapons. Please give me Your wisdom as I read Your Word that I will know and recognize what is true. I know I cannot do this on my own (in my own flesh). In Jesus name, amen.

Written by
Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment