HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/18/15

Not Enough Time...Monday

10/19/15

"Look at your neighbor and tell them, 'You need to lighten up!"

Laughter could be heard all over the sanctuary as people followed the pastor's directions. My daughter and I didn't say the words, we just smiled at each other both of us knowing we have a tendency to take things a little too seriously.

When you see life as one long to do list, it is more work to take a break and do something fun, than it is to just keep working. No matter how many studies show that it is important to have balance, even when you have experienced the benefits of that balance-change is hard.

There are two traps that keep me from 'lightening up'. First is that I don't have enough time, and the second, is 'I will take a break as soon as this is done'. Except, 'this' slides right into the next item and things are never done.

On Thursday, my daughters invited me to go do something fun with them on Saturday. I said I would like to go, but I would have to see. Then on Saturday, I asked if they could wait while I just did one more thing. They were very patient with me but I could tell they could see through me. Although I realized what I was doing, 'delaying fun', I kept doing it.

Finally we went and had a wonderful time. On the drive home I thanked God for the example my girls were setting for me in fun and work balance. I really can see that the work and routine of the week can be more bearable when you having something pleasant ahead of you.

Pile your troubles on God’s shoulders—

    he’ll carry your load, he’ll help you out.

He’ll never let good people

    topple into ruin.

Psalm 55:22 MSG

Dear Lord, thank You for bearing with me as I take life and responsibilities too seriously. I do know that I can not add even an hour to my life. Please help me to see all of the reminders around me that You are a loving and caring God. I choose to stop trusting in my own strength to get things done as if I can actually make anything of the utmost importance happen. Please forgive me for the pride and fear that keep me striving. In Jesus name, amen.

PS: Pastor Steve's very next phrase, after we told each other to lighten up?

"Lightening up is not an excuse to be lazy." Again with the whole balance thing!!

Written by Mary M. Wilkins


Love Take Me Over by Steven Curtis Chapman

1 comment:

  1. Mary, you are so right. I am afraid that too often my lack of balance leads to rest only when I, or one of my kids, become ill, forcing me to stop. I thank God for those times when He intervenes on my behalf, but I do pray that I will learn to find better balance without such extreme measures being needed! Blessings!! ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete