HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/14/14

The Thought That Counts.....Monday


12/15/14

Only 10 more shopping days until Christmas the stores declare. In an effort to outshine the North Star, advertisements full of glitz and glam are everywhere. Make your kids happy, make your loved one smile, show them you care...just be sure to shop here where everything is on sale.

In newspapers and emails, on televison and almost every webpage there is news about the latest and greatest things we can buy to make someone happy. But no matter how hard I might try, I cannot buy happiness for myself or anyone else.

As I consider each of my family and friends and try to identify what would show them that I care, I think of time, attention, understanding, love, patience, and compassion. But in a world where everything is for sale or on sale, these things I cannot buy.

Then it looks like the only option is to give of myself. In a season of extra business, for myself and most everyone else, how can I be thoughtful and intentional in my gift-giving?

Have you heard the phrase, "It's the thought that counts"? I used to hear it and say it to excuse another person's ill-suited gift. Nowadays, some have given up that polite quote, and are now saying, "What were they thinking?" That has happened to me with my brother-in-law, I would send a gift that I thought was hysterically funny and reminded me of him, but without my thinking process explained to him, he was at a loss to comprehend my gift.

So, the thought does count in gift-giving after all, and we should take the time to explain our thoughts. It's a hassle? You don't know what to say? Yep, I know, me neither. I feel like some of the humor is gone if I have to explain it. But that's our personal touch which can help make a gift thoughtful and intentional. Everything in life fades away: nothing remains but the memories of  the life we lived.

Three things will last forever
—faith, hope, and love—
and the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:13New Living Translation (NLT)

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me that it truly is the thought that counts, and that it is up to me to communicate the meaning of those thoughts with others. Please help us to be open, kind, and loving to everyone You bring across our paths this Christmas season. May we be willing reminders of You to someone each day. In Jesus name, amen.

 Written by Mary M. Wilkins



Matthew West sings about how God loves us "More" than anything else.



3 comments:

  1. Please reread Mary's prayer. It IS the thought that counts but is also our responsibility to convey the meaning of the thought. It is not easy to be sure that what we are thinking about anything is something that becomes obvious to the receive of what we are trying to give to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking how very much I love the way your writing seems to say what I am thinking. How do we gift wrap friendship, compassion, affection, admiration and love? Thank you for the wonderful prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for communicating your thoughts - I appreciate the gift of your understanding! May God bless the words of your mouth and the thoughts of your heart.

      Delete