HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8/19/10

Every Other Sentence

Devotional for Thursday, 8/ 4/11
Repost from 8/9/10

Have you ever been listening to someone, only to discover they were still talking but you had stopped listening? I’m sorry to say that I have done so! As I scramble in my brain to try to catch up, attempting to attach current words with past sentences without a bridge; it is an exercise in futility and a disservice to the speaker. The right thing to do is to interrupt, make an apology, and ask for clarification.


“But if I do that, they might start all over!” I think with exasperation. So, in spite of embarrassing moments, hurt friends, and foot in my mouth experiences, I still fake it. I persevere in trying to play catch-up on a storyline even though I missed a chapter. I think the excuse I use most often, is that some scenes are not as essential to the play as others. Therefore, I might have only missed a few details that will not change my own response.

But the truth is a person usually knows when they are not being listened to. They might be too kind, embarrassed, angry or rejected to say anything but they have gotten the message. When I do not take the time to pay attention and hear what they are saying I am letting them know they are not important to me. “But you are important!” I insist. Okay, but are they important enough?

What is important enough? It is something that is crucial or essential and will spark me to action. So, if I want my husband, my child, my friend, to “know and believe” that I not only love them but I care about them deeply – I had better watch my messages. If I want an acquaintance to “know and believe” I am a trustworthy child of God who will pray with and for her – I had better watch my messages. If I want my coworkers to see the love of God through me – I had better watch my messages.

I’m not suggesting that my goal is to be an “on call” listener. That wouldn’t be practical or balanced. But when I do give someone the time of day – I want to give them all of their moments, not every other one. I can’t help but think – that listening to others carefully and thoughtfully – will help me to listen to Him.

Dear Lord, Please give me ears to hear and a heart to understand.

 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock.”
Matthew 7:24-25

And we are confident in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we commanded you. May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.
2 Thessalonians 3:4-6 “(NLT)
Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment