HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2/10/11

Many Images: One True Self

Today I have projected different images. This morning I showed my husband the “Hope you have a great day” face. Then I showed a child the “Get up now” face. Then I looked in the mirror and saw the “What happened to you?” face!

Christian speaker John Bevere categorizes our images in order to help us know ourselves a little better. When I show up at an event of any kind, the impression I am trying to make, what I put forth for others to see, is my projected image. How others then see me is my perceived image. Who I really am, at my very core, is my actual image.

Unfortunately, for my preference to control, I am only in charge of one of these images. I can attempt to influence other’s perception of me by changing, designing and altering my projected image. But only the power of God can change the actual me.

Have you ever noticed, the second you make a commitment to stop lying, swearing, drinking, smoking, growling, snapping, shopping, speeding, eating, etc. your day is full of that very thing? I know! Me too! I have tried to change who I am inside by using discipline and willpower. I have only been able to alter the projected part of myself, the outer packaging or wrapper. While I felt like I changed, when a problem or challenge came my true self was revealed. The inside, my actual image, was the same.

If I can’t change myself, what’s a girl to do? Does God still love me in spite of myself?

Jeremiah 17:9-10 (NIV) says:

9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?
10 “I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct according to what his deeds deserve."

Wow, so God knows we have lying hearts that we can’t fix. Plus He knows everything in our hearts and minds, for which He will hold us accountable. Where is our hope? Let’s go back and see what conversation in scripture led to this observation and declaration.

Just before this the prophet Jeremiah is describing God’s people as doomed for holding onto past loves (other than love for God), then0

Jeremiah 17:5, 7-8 (NIV)

5 This is what the LORD says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength,and whose heart turns away from the LORD.
7 “But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.
8 He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit,
This is the message I see in this passage of scripture. One: We are hopeless because of the desires hidden in our hearts, such as the memories and longings for the past (our past before Christ - when we were comfortable in our sin). Two: God will curse the man or woman who depends on their own strength. Instead of asking God for help, he or she reasons, “I got myself into this mess. I will get myself out of it.” And three: God will bless the man or woman who trusts in the Lord and puts their full hope in Him.

This scripture goes from revealing what is in our hearts, to cursing, to blessing, to warning - so we won’t lose the blessing!

God knows our inner selves intimately. Nothing is hidden from Him - even if we are hiding it from ourselves (kidding ourselves or deceiving ourselves). He not only loves us - he understands us.

Hebrews 4:12-16 (MSG)
God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it—no matter what.

Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

Inspiration and motivation for transformation has been stirred by John Bevere’s bible study “Extraordinary: The Life You Are Meant to Live;” available at www.messengerinternational.org.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mary. Here is a wonderful scripture that I feel is well related to your writing.

    4For I (A)am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this (B)acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.

    5Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.

    1Cor 4:4-5

    God bless

    ReplyDelete