HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2/13/11

MERCY

To be merciful is to show great compassion, as when a judge shows leniency to a convicted person. In the case of God's mercy, it is his divine forgiveness for us, the penitent sinners.

We know that we are not perfect, but sometimes it is hard to admit some of those areas where we are guilty of sin. Some things seem so small and even justifiable, like perhaps speeding. We are not following man's laws when we go over the posted speed limit, yet we often tell ourselves that everyone else does it, we are just keeping pace with the others so we don't impede traffic, or that it's OK because they give us a little leeway, I'm being safe and not hurting anyone, etc. But when it comes right down to it, we are not honoring the law. Or maybe we've received too much change back from a clerk yet walked off without saying anything. Or during work hours we have taken personal calls or spent time on things other than work. Or we've turned our back on someone in need because we didn't want to get involved, and justified it by telling ourselves we don't know if they really need help or how to help. Or we've ignored trash on the ground that we could have picked up. Or we've thought improper thoughts, or passed on gossip, or harbored resentment, and on, and on, and on. If I haven't hit one you've done yet, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks for yourself.

There may be more obvious things in our lives, or more glaring sins that we hold onto or have difficulty resisting and changing. There may be things that weigh heavily on our hearts, so much that we are in anguish over them. We may try harder and harder, only to fail again to turn away from them. It may be that we get angry and say hurtful things to someone over and over. Or maybe we have lied about something and just can't figure out how to get untangled from the lies. Or perhaps we are dealing with an addiction, and that can be to many different things such as drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, or even shopping, eating, etc. Our number one enemy, Satan, likes to throw them back up in our faces and torment us about them.

No matter what the sin is, tiny or gigantic in our eyes, a single incident or repetitive, it still shows that we are human, imperfect. But it does not separate us totally from God. We can come to him every time, no matter what the difficulty is, and no matter how many times it happens, and we ask for his mercy. God is gracious and will forgive us, no matter what it is, if we come to him in faith in Jesus, who has already paid the price for our sins. He does not forgive us because of anything we do - He has already done what is needed. What a glorious Father we have in heaven! We can also ask for God's help to overcome the devil and change our lives. We come to him in humility and repentance, and receive grace and forgiveness - divine mercy. We do our part to make changes in our lives through God's power, and then relax and leave the rest in his hands. Then amazing miracles occur! God is good, all the time.

LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint; heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in deep anguish. How long, LORD, how long? Turn, LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love. Among the dead no one proclaims your name. Who praises you from the grave? I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish; they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame. Psalm 6 NIV

Written by Jan Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment