HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/2/11

FREEDOM

devotion for Sunday and Monday  July 3 & 4, 2011


What is freedom? This is 4th of July weekend, the day we celebrate the adoption of our Declaration of Independence where we declared our freedom from British rule. Some of our basic individual freedoms were spelled out later in our Bill of Rights. During the Civil War President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which was a milestone toward freedom for slaves. Freedoms have had an important part in the shaping of America. What does freedom mean to you?


Most of us consider freedom to be liberation, to be without confinement or restraint. Freedom can indicate physically being released from something, like being freed from prison, or from a physical ailment like being free of cancer after treatment. Or it can be an emotional freedom, like being free from worry. Sometimes it refers to a psychological state, such as freedom from depression. Or it can be a recovery from something such as an addiction, a freedom from compulsion to abuse certain things. We can be weighed down by things in this world, sometimes to the point of despair. Sometimes we cannot see how we can ever be truly free from some of our troubles. We cry out to Jesus to hear our prayers. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't hear us, because we don't see or feel the freedom that we desire. Sometimes that freedom comes more slowly than we anticipate, or even not at all the way we expect it. God does promise to provide us with the strength that we need to make it through, and to bless us regardless of the outcome. But God promises a much more important freedom that only He can give, freedom from slavery to sin. This is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

(Jesus read from Isaiah in the synagogue): 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, 19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor." 20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” Luke 4:18-19 NIV

With freedom comes responsibility. We are not to take advantage of that free gift of life by continuing in sinfulness. We are to shun sin and to serve others.

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. Galatians 5:13 NIV

We should seek to share the free gift of eternal life with all whom we meet. Out of thanks for what God has done for us we strive to live a Godly life, which also becomes a witness to others of his great love.

41 May your unfailing love come to me, LORD, your salvation, according to your promise; 42 then I can answer anyone who taunts me, for I trust in your word. 43 Never take your word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws. 44 I will always obey your law, for ever and ever. 45 I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. Psalm 119:41-45 NIV

We have to use our freedom wisely and understand that not everyone in the world understands the meaning of that freedom. So we need to be careful what our actions say to other people. We should avoid offending others while at the same time maintaining integrity of our faith in Jesus and put the needs of unsaved souls above our own needs.

23 “I have the right [freedom] to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. 24 No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. 1 Corinthians 10:23-24 NIV


Ironically then, our freedom can lead us to restraint, in order to become "all things to all people" in order to share salvation with them:

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV

So then, we come full circle. First we are slaves to sin, then we are set free in Christ, this leads to becoming slaves to the Gospel... but that sets others free! Hallelujah! Freedom to be a redeemed child of God! God bless us, every one! Amen.

Written by Jan Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment