HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/21/11

Satisfaction in Life

Repost from Thursday, September 16, 2010


Just before her high school graduation I was taking a moment to chat with my daughter about dreams and expectations. We discussed the belief of there being one perfect thing for her to do. Is it true? Is there a calling, a purpose, or a mission that will collectively make use of her gifts and talents for the benefit of others and satisfaction to herself.


As I listened to her toy with big dreams, little wishes and high hopes, I did something unusual. I kept all my warnings and opinions about how hard this or that is, or how difficult or rare it is to achieve such n such tmyself. I know! I was surprised too! Not that I’m against practical analysis, some might even say I’m a bit cynical. But this was a dreaming session, and in a beautiful example of God’s grace, He shut the mouth of this momma lion. The result was a privileged peek into my daughter’s heart.


What a delightful experience. I wish I had done this sooner and more often. Why does it take me so long to learn these things? By the time I get the hang of it, I’m almost done! But that’ll be something ‘fun’ to write about at another time. The short answer is rather rough, painful and embarrassing. Truth be known, I was busy with other things and other people. An honest assessment of my fears, priorities, and habits can wait for another day.


Continuing the discussion of embracing life my daughter clarified her perspective regarding “One perfect thing.” She suggested that life satisfaction would come from many areas experienced rather than a success enjoyed. She does hope to achieve her current dreams, but as opportunities come along she is willing to be flexible and consider adjusting them.


That sounded so healthy and balanced I started thinking about my own life and how it might measure up to such a well-rounded perspective. I imagined a yummy holiday pie divided into many slices. If the pie represented my life, what did each slice stand for? I thought about my husband, 2 slices, definitely. Each child, another 2 slices each; then church, friends, extended family, bible study, running a home, keeping a job, health, personal care, alone time, personal time with God. Looking at the list I began to realize that all of these areas added up to a positive life. Yes, there had been struggles, challenges, losses and negatives. But the sweet moments, joy and laughter end up tipping the balance toward a satisfied life.


“For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments;
and His commandments are not burdensome.
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world;
and this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.
Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
 I John 5:3-5 (NASB)


For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence
and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious,
if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise,
 think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
Philippians 4:8 (AMP)

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment