HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/24/11

OUR HERITAGE IN CHRIST

Devotional for Monday, July 25, 2011

Reprint from September 6, 2010



Last weekend my family and I attended San Jose's Italian American Heritage Festival at the Guadalupe River Park. What a joy! The parking was easy, considering our massive metro area, the weather was sunny yet pleasantly cool, and the crowds were relatively thin. The grassy area beneath our feet was verdant and clean.



The food was authentic, fresh, and delectable. The live band was heartwarming playing Italian favorites. Bocce ball lessons and tournaments lent excitement to the day. Craft booths displayed everything from Italian logo t-shirts to beautiful paintings of the Amalfi Coast. Accordian players strolled among us adding to the charm of the ambience.



" Bellissimo" sights, sounds and smells filled the air and I was transported to a fantasy of the "old country" where my father was born. My father was from Reggio di Calabria Italy which is at the southern most tip of the boot of Italy. Daddy went to be with the Lord when I was only three years old and my mother was German, not Italian. I am left with recollections of only my earliest childhood years of an Italian lifestyle. However, I must be the product of some sort of genetic memory and predisposition toward all things Italian because at the festival I was in my glory. Hearing the Italian language being spoken, tasting the eggplant, pasta and cannolis, hearing the laughter of "my people" sent me into a state of bliss, as it always does when I am immersed in the Italian culture.



The Italians are a warm, welcoming, fun loving people. I feel such a bond with them and truly believe it is because of my natural heritage. However, the Lord reminded me this weekend, that although my natural cultural affiliation is a blessing, my true spiritual foundation is in Jesus Christ. He is the God of my spiritual forefathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Sarah, the mighty woman of faith in the Bible is my spiritual mentor. These heros of the faith have paved the way for me as I journey here on earth "pressing on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ." Philippians 3:14 (NIV) It is fun and refreshing to experience human joys which God affords, be it our culture, friends, travels or other earthly blessings. However, the Holy Spirit reminded me further of a beautiful song which states: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." And as a final note, it comforts me to know that in this present day culture when we are surrounded by threats and intimidations of those who worship false and strange gods, the uncompromised truth is: "Therefore God has also exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the father." Philippians 2: 9-11 (KJV)


Ciao


Written by CF

No comments:

Post a Comment