HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4/11/12

Thursday Devotional...4/12/12

Another Growth Opportunity, Part 2

Looking out the kitchen window makes dishwashing go by more quickly. I feel like I do dishes all the time: sippy cups, little spoons, cute plastic cereal bowls and dishes with suction-cup bottoms for the high chair tray seem to multiply in the sink when my back is turned. As I look at the rows of homes on each side of the street I can just see the edge of a small playground area. Sigh, I really thought I would be further along in life, I mumble to the Lord. “Further along” would be code for “I thought we would have more money by now!”

“You are living the life you wanted,” I hear in my head. Really, hmmm, now that you mention it, I did say I wanted to live in the suburbs near lots of other families so that my kids would always have playmates available. Plus I know I am the one who turned down two, not one, but two potentially life changing job possibilities (see last week’s devotional-April 5) that my husband really wanted to try.

Humbled, I stop working for a moment, and pray, “Well, Lord, I promise, the next time Ron sees a job opportunity that interests him I will not hinder him, but will encourage him.” In my mind’s eye I see a huge ship way out from the shore. Its portholes are bright with light in the gathering dusk and there is my husband in a very small boat rowing out to it with all his strength.

Two years and two more babies later I have a chance to keep my promise. A friend he has known for 20 years has offered to train my husband in a new field if he will commit to work for him for at least two years. We only have to move to the other side of the country.

My husband is excited but worried as he watches for my reaction. I doubt that I come off as the most spontaneous of women, but I assure him that I think this is a great idea. Almost all of our friends think this opportunity is too good to be true. Any concern pointed out by our friends, I make a mental note not to act worried about it.

Let me be completely real, inside my head I am wondering if anyone will like me, will I make any friends, will I be so different that people will figure out how weird I am? I have lived in a metropolitan area for 20 years but I have heard it is very different in the west. After all, California isn’t like any place else, is it?

Fourteen years later, my husband has excelled in his new field. I have learned to be grateful when the Lord convicts me. If I hadn’t come to realize the error of my ways with his first two job opportunities I doubt I would have been ready to resist my own fears and put my trust in God that He would watch over us as I supported and followed my husband.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Hebrews 12:11-12 (NIV)

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)


Dear Lord, thank You for Your mercy which is new every morning. Thank You for Your faithfulness. Please help me to remember all You have done when fears threaten to overwhelm me. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment