HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/27/12

Thursday Devotional..."Not a Warm Welcome"....


                                                   ....actually quite a cool welcome


Ouch! Ok, not really, but I am so humbled, and I can’t think of an outside word to express my inside feeling.

This is how it went. I was out of town and visiting a church. The pastor invited everyone to come to the altar for the closing prayer. It was a group of about 30 so we would all fit and I obediently went to the front. The prayer was very encouraging and inspiring. Then the pastor dismissed us with a command, “Please greet and hug each other.”

Well! Talk about making me uncomfortable! I didn’t want to hug a bunch of strangers, and I didn’t want them to hug me. But I decided I would pretend to follow directions by hugging a few women I had greeted earlier, then smiling I would simply say “God bless you” or “Have a nice week” as I made my way back to my seat. I hugged a few women as I had mentally promised. A man nearby turned towards me, so I offered my hand in greeting. He shook my hand, smiled and told me, “God bless you.” One step closer, whew, almost there. The next individual on my path was a dad with his daughter, he put an arm out for a hug, so I slid in sideways, murmured “God bless you” inaudibly, and turned away as quickly as I could. Two young men were the only remaining obstacles between me and safety. They were about the ages of my oldest children. Smiling, I looked each one in the eye pleasantly, said, ”God bless you”, and moved to step past them. The more confident of the two put out his hand to shake, and reminded me, “He said to hug one another.” I quipped, “I know, I know.” Then in my embarrassment I brushed past them both ignoring the offered hand.

Two seconds later and I was standing safely in my row. I could feel an “uh-oh” warning inside of me. No, I started to argue with the feeling. I felt right and proper in my choosing to not “hug everyone.” I don’t hug when I am not at least acquainted with someone. I especially didn’t want to hug just because the pastor said so. Then I heard within myself, “This is the custom here, you are offending these people. Your refusal appears to be rejection.” Nonsense, I answered in my head, I am a visitor, and those young men don’t care if the new person doesn’t hug them. I sat down hard, hoping the change in position would distract the thoughts in my head.

“We are so glad you decided to join us, Brian,” I heard the pastor saying to the confident young man who had tried to keep me on the straight and narrow. “You are very welcome to be here, too, Daniel, he said to the other.

“Oh no, Lord!” I whispered. Oh yes, my daughter. Those young men have no idea that you are a visitor or that you don’t care to hug strangers. They do know that a respectable looking woman did not do what the pastor had asked all of them to do. They do know that not all of the Christians in this place were willing to give them a full welcome.

Romans 12:9-10 (AMP)
[Let your] love be sincere (a real thing); hate what is evil
[loathe all ungodliness, turn in horror from wickedness],
but hold fast to that which is good.
Love one another with brotherly affection
 [as members of one family],
giving precedence and showing honor to one another.

John 13:35 (NIV1984)
By this all men will know that you are my disciples,
 if you love one another.”

Dear Lord, I am so sorry I did not respect the directions of your servant. I am sorry for thinking only of myself by putting my comfort and preference first. I regret that I avoided an opportunity to love others and in the process set a poor example. Please cleanse my heart of this unrighteousness and plant in me strength to love others. Please help me to show sisterly affection for my brothers and sisters in Christ whether I am already acquainted with them or not. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment