HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/16/13

A Little More Time

Devotional for Monday, 6/17/13

White fluffy clouds drift slowly across an intensely blue sky. My brother and I look for animals, trees, and houses as the clouds morph from one shape into another as they cruise across the horizon. At our age, we think nothing of laying on our backs in the grass as we play our lazy gazing game. I have not yet learned to imagine tiny bugs crawling all around me.  My mind is full of wonder of the creation God has placed around me. I am certain I will always know this kind of peace and stillness.

That is the last time I can remember when the busyness and crush of life was not pressing on me. Routines and expectations began to fill my life soon after that time of freedom. Even as I finished one season, another season would start. I began to wish for an 'end'. I wanted to take a break - but I needed to finish 'this' first, then the next thing and the next.

Life has been a mix of blue skies and dark and stormy nights. In the midst of them, I have often wished, and even prayed, for a little more time. Sometimes my desire is so I can get more done - as I operate under the illusion that the satisfaction I will experience from accomplishing it all will be fantastic! Or I am just trying to get 'everything' done that I have decided is important. Often I am telling myself I would pray more, go to church more, reach out to the hurting more, IF I just had a little more time.

It turns out that I can't make time, I can't borrow time, I can't even steal time. When I stop everything, and take a good hard look at myself and my life, and the things I am busy doing, I see that there is only one way to get done those 'other' things I say I wish to do. I must take time. Take time with the people who are important to me. Take time to care for my body and my health. Take time to rest, have fun, and enjoy this moment in time. Take time for God.

So, instead of falling into bed night after night exhausted from trying to squeeze extra time out of a day, I must take responsibility for how I am choosing to use the time I am given each day. Since it has taken me years to create this crazy pattern I live in - I know I need His wisdom to unravel my way out of it with kindness and consideration for others. 

Here’s what I want you to do:
Find a quiet, secluded place
so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God.
Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage.
The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense His grace.
Matthew 6:6 MSG

Thank You, Lord, that You patiently wait for us to discover that our way doesn't work. Then You gently teach us as soon as we are paying attention. Please give me ears to hear and a heart that understands. May my words be kind and my actions be good. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I loved this one. I can SO relate, as so many times I have thought "if I can just get through this (whatever 'this' was on that occasion), I will have some rest, time, etc." I have realized that, like you, time will never just present itself to me like I imagine. It doesn't seem to matter what season in life we are in, time is always at a premium. Thank you for your insight and lesson on how to recalibrate our perspective on time. ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, except for the fact that I did not grow up with a brother, you wrote me! Thank you for saying what I know, but have been too busy to sit down to think.

    ReplyDelete