HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/30/13

Why Didn't I Go to Church?

Monday Devotional for 7/1/13

I meant to go to church but it didn't fit in my day. I had too much to do. Someone was sick. I had to be someplace. I needed to take a shower. I needed to help someone. I couldn't leave the dog. Today is my only day off. Today is the only day I can sleep in. I am on vacation. I didn't want to go alone. I was too upset. I didn't have anything nice or clean to wear. I didn't have anything to wear that I felt like wearing. I didn't want to see that certain someone. I don't think the pastor is as serious as he should be. I think the pastor is a little too serious. I hardly know anyone. No one will even notice if I'm not there.

I hate to admit it but 95% of the reason I didn't go to church is because I didn't want to. The other 5% was the circumstance I used as my excuse to explain my absence to myself.


For many years we steadfastly attended our church every time the doors were open. We became friends with the other members. We celebrated and mourned life events together. We helped each other. It was a time of growth in our own family as we grew spiritually and physically. We did not agree with every idea or thought of our Christian brothers and sisters, or pastors and leaders. But we agreed that God had a purpose for each of our lives. We agreed that the best way to discover that purpose was to learn more about Him and draw closer to Him. The easiest way to do that was by going to church.

I do not think that God is mad at me or you when we do not go to church. But I believe we miss out on a few good things. One of those things is the opportunity to be a friend to someone new or familiar. Going to church is not to follow a religious rule or to prove how great we are doing. It is for our benefit, our help, our support, and our growth.

So let’s do it—full of belief,
 confident that we’re presentable inside and out.
 Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going.
 He always keeps his word.
 Let’s see how inventive we can be
 in encouraging love and helping out,
 not avoiding worshiping together as some do
 but spurring each other on,
 especially as we see the big Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:22-25 MSG

Dear Lord, how grateful I am for Your patience. Please help me to remember that it is not all about me and what I feel like. Please give me strength to persevere in faith in You. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

3 comments:

  1. Having grown up in a religion that requires us to be in church every Sunday or else, I am programmed to go to Church every week. Still it is a wonderful thing to know that God is not keeping a tally sheet every Sunday. He loves us to be there, but he can accept prayers and devotional from wherever we are.
    However, thank you for your study of our excuses/reasons not to not attend, Mary. This is an excellent writing on this topic.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Mary, you have written like you are chatting with a friend.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that insight from a simple question. I guess I can stop feeling guilty even though I know I did miss something by not bing there. thank God that pastor puts his sermons on the internet.

    ReplyDelete