HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/1/13

Just Around the Bend

Tuesday Devotional, 7/2/13

I am a train station kind of girl. I didn't discover that until Dear Abby reprinted a piece by Robert J. Hastings, an American preacher and teacher for 55 years. He wrote a piece that he knew was 'special' and he sent it to Ann Landers (i.e., Dear Abby) and gave her permission to share it with her readers.

I was still in high school but I felt old. I had a chip on my shoulder larger than the ridiculous 'portable' radios that the guys were lugging around on their shoulders known as 'boom boxes.' I wanted to feel normal and I did everything I could think of to create that feeling. When performing well didn't fill the aching hole in my heart, I began to strive and plan for the day when I would be able to control every aspect of my life. I was 100% confident that would bring me ultimate peace and happiness.

Even at 16, I recognized that I was waiting. Well, not exactly, I would go after something, like good grades, and once I had them, I tossed them behind me, and went on to the next thing. I couldn't wait to be 16 and drive. I was content for a week at best. Then I couldn't wait to be 18, then I couldn't wait to graduate high school. Then I lost sight of yearly goals and nothing would satisfy me until I graduated from college. Not to worry, my eyes were soon on marriage and career, and college was a flash before my eyes. I rarely appreciated the place I was at for it's own beauty. I certainly didn't view all the processes in my life to be benefiting me or preparing me for my future. I trudged along, my eyes ahead, determined to rest once I got there. I was sure it was just around the next bend.

If I could only get there, all would be well. When I was there, it would be sunshine and blue skies every day. But even a stormy day wouldn't bother me because all would be right in my world. My husband would love me and accept me just the way I am. My children would appreciate all my loving efforts to be a good mother and we would live in mutual admiration of each other. My friends would never hurt my feelings, I would never hurt theirs, and we would always think the best of each other.

The poison too many of us willingly drink is the deception of perfection. I know that it keeps me from completely trusting God as I am thinking to myself, wait, I can do this, I'll ask God for help with the things I can't handle, but I'm not going to bother Him with the stuff I can do.

Those who think they can do it on their own
 end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle
 but never get around to exercising it in real life.
Those who trust God’s action in them find that God’s Spirit is in them
—living and breathing God!
Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end;
 attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life.
 Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God.
 Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God,
ends up thinking more about self than God.
 That person ignores who God is and what he is doing.
 And God isn’t pleased at being ignored.
Romans 8:5-8 MSG
 
So don’t you see that we don’t owe this old do-it-yourself life one red cent.
There’s nothing in it for us, nothing at all.
 The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life.
 God’s Spirit beckons.
There are things to do and places to go!
 Romans 8:12-14 MSG
 
 

Dear Lord, thank You for opening a crack in the hard shell I have built to protect myself and for shining Your bright light of truth, love, and deliverance. This is the day of freedom from self! No more waiting for the what the next train might bring - thank you Lord for this very day. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

http://robertjhastings.com/
http://www.inspirationalarchive.com/2810/the-station/


  

3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent point you are making here, Mary. This kind of thinking leaves one never being satisfied with what God is giving us along the way. It leaves us feeling unsatisfied and not fulfilled.
    I really received a lot of good points from your devotional and the wonderful writing you posted by Robert Hastings.

    God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great Mary, very insightful. I read "The Station," and it also states so beautifully what it takes some of us a long time to learn (I have been on that train!)...that life is about enjoying the journey, rather than focusing on the destination.

    Happy 4th of July...I am remembering some good times when we celebrated the 4th at the Pierce's block parties. Makes me smile and miss all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been guilty and am guilty of thinking things will be different and better around the bend. Mary, you have given a wake up call not to miss the train that god has put you on and when you are there enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete