HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/21/13

Deceived by Whom?...Monday

Devotional...7/22/13

It is one thing to be tricked or deceived by another person. It happens. But it is quite another matter to deceive oneself. I am not perfect (believe me, really not perfect) but I’d like to think that I am aware of most of my sins. I try to keep all skeletons out in the open. That way there are no surprises and no fear of exposure to keep me on edge. Yet there is no way I can find every deception within myself. 


That’s why the Psalmist wrote in
 139:23-24:
Search me [thoroughly], O God, 
and know my heart! 
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there is any wicked 
or hurtful way in me, 
and lead me in the way everlasting. (AMP)



There’s the catch. What’s in my heart and my thoughts are important, too! There’s really no way I can sift through all this in my own wisdom and strength. Therefore I must ask God for help in uncovering my sins and then cleansing me from them. 

Can I do anything to reduce the chance of being deceived? Yes, I believe so. Let’s start with the acknowledgement that the goal is to not deceive myself or anyone else.

The first thing is to stay connected and open. No secrets allowed. I’m not talking about ‘what are you getting me for my birthday’ secrets. I’m referring to relationships, conversations, actions, or going places that I wouldn’t be comfortable with if someone else was listening or watching. Almost every article I’ve read about keeping my marriage healthy included the advice to be careful with whom I make connections. I think this is even more important given the perceived privacy of email and the like. I have 4 people who know the password to my email and they are welcome to read anything at anytime. 

Secondly, if I want to have a deeper understanding of truth, so that I will be wiser about deception, I must study God’s Word; input His Truth as much as possible. Daily scripture reading gives my mind something to chew on or mull over for the day. Renew my mind by repeating scripture out loud.

Third, often my problem is habit. Old ways die hard. What I need is a plan for strengthening my spirit and weakening my flesh. My flesh is my natural desires and tendencies. Say “No” to what my ‘self’ wants; do this just as an exercise (like a work out routine!), not for any reason except to teach myself who is boss. Check what is going into my heart, mind, imagination and body. I agree with moderation in all things acceptable; but if I’m being convicted of something, cold turkey is the most effective medicine for me.

The last step is two-fold. I must pray to God asking for strength every day. I must believe that the Spirit in me is stronger than the spirit in the world.

The Goal: 
Avoid deceiving myself and avoid deceiving others.


The Plan: 
Stay connected; open; no secrets; accountability.

Input His truth every day; think about scripture; repeat it out loud.

Say “No” to myself occasionally regarding things that are acceptable, 
for no reason except to let my spirit be the boss of my flesh.

Ask God for strength. Believe He is stronger than the world.

My dear children, you come from God and belong to God. You have already won a big victory over those false teachers, for the Spirit in you is far stronger than anything in the world. These people belong to the Christ-denying world. They talk the world's language and the world eats it up. But we come from God and belong to God. Anyone who knows God understands us and listens. The person who has nothing to do with God will, of course, not listen to us. This is another test for telling the Spirit of Truth from the spirit of deception. 1 John 4:4 (MSG)

Written by 
Mary M. Wilkins

1 comment:

  1. Your writing shows very clearly that we must study ourselves very carefully as to whether our goals and actions are what they should be. This was an amazing food for thought that gives us guidelines that would be good to follow. Thank you, Mary.
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete