HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/28/13

Is There A Right Answer?...Monday

Devotional for Monday, July 29, 2013

We were standing around a kitchen island with a glass of water sitting innocently in front of us. The younger kids thought perhaps our fearless leader was going to show us a magic trick. Serious expressions and a tense atmosphere indicated something very important was about to happen. I held my breath.

Unknown to me, only two of us were unaware of what was to come. The leader of this test said, in a nonchalant tone, "Tell me what you see?" As we were encouraged to answer honestly I finally declared, "The glass is half empty!"

Our leader smirked all-knowingly, leaned back against the counter, and announcing for all to hear that I was a "pessimist."

I didn't know what a pessimist actually was, but the context was enough to convince me this was something I didn't want to be. "Not true!" I cried. But judgment had been passed. I was condemned.

By using one small perception device I had been labeled. Personality tests can have upwards of 500 questions meant to cover the many angles and nuances of who we are, how we view our environment, and what motivates us as individuals. We are unique and in-depth individuals who cannot be defined by a simple kitchen trick.

As harsh as the actions and words of that childhood experience, I am aware that it is very easy for me to do the same thing to others, on any given day. The young woman in front of me who is dressed in a manner I find lacking, do I immediately decide she is lacking in morals or judgment? Or do I wonder where she is coming from, who is she, and what is going on in her life?

It is not wise to make decisions about anyone based on minimum information. What do strangers think of us upon first glance? I am grateful that God does not see us as we see ourselves nor each other.

You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.
 Do not judge others, and you will not be judged.
Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you.
 Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.
 Luke 6:36-37 NLT


Dear Lord, thank you for continuing to work out your good work in me. Please forgive me for doing the very thing I would wish that others would not do to me. Please give me eyes to see others as You do, ears to hear others as You do, and a heart that is filled with compassion. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

1 comment:

  1. This is so well written and really speaks to the difficult day I had yesterday. The prayer you wrote is my prayer as well. Thank you.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete