HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/29/13

The Kept Woman...Tuesday

Devotional...July 30, 2013

I was still relatively new to the church the first time I saw her. She was one of those people who “Had something about her” as my mom used to say. Even from a distance, I knew what mom meant.  I tried not to stare but glanced in her direction often. After clearing tables one Sunday, a friend and I sat down with our coffee. As we talked and were getting to know each other, I asked her if she knew "that woman."

 “Oh, her!” my friend responded. Now, when I was young, that meant something scandalous was about to be shared. I held my breath waiting for her to continue. 

“She’s a kept woman,” she clarified. I was right! There was something about that woman. I sipped my coffee and kept my attention on my friend as she told me the story.

The woman had come to the church some years ago as a visitor. She had heard about a man who had been in the congregation from its beginning.  What she didn’t know was that he was hoping she’d be interested in him.  After introductions and spending some time together, it was a love made in heaven!  Everyone noticed the contentment and joy of their relationship and were very happy for them. But, it wasn't the end of the story.

We never knew what happened, but she slowly withdrew from his love, and eventually from the rest of us. His sadness was deep but he wouldn’t give up on their relationship.  We watched in awe as he pursued and took care of her in ways she wasn’t even aware were his doing. He protected her. Prayers for her were on his lips continually, hoping she’d remember their love, hoping she missed him, and would one day again desire his love as much as he desired hers. 

Then we started to notice that she was staying around more often, talking about him with a smile on her face. She seemed to deeply miss their life together but something was holding her back. I heard that she was afraid he couldn’t possibly want her back. Apparently she was ashamed of something and thought she didn’t deserve his love.

She must have forgotten the lesson from King David - 

For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in loving kindness to all who call upon You.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
And give heed to the voice of my supplications!
In the day of my trouble I shall call upon You,
For You will answer me.
Psalm 86:5-7 NASB

"But," my friend continued, ”He recognized her change of heart. He knew he’d won back his lady’s love. One day during worship I saw her weeping. After service we could all tell by the joy on her face that they were reunited!

Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn you
and continued My faithfulness to you.
Jeremiah 31:3 AMP
As wiped my eyes, my friend smiled and said, "Let me introduce you to her! She loves to have her story told and to talk about all the Lord has done. She's the one who started calling herself "A Kept Woman" and she is quick to remind us that we are all kept women.


My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
 The Lord is your keeper;
Psalm 121:2 & 5a NKJV

Written by Sandy Schott

Click on this link to hear the beautiful song "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" written by Hillsong and performed by Shelley Nirider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-ZdMOx_HY
 

2 comments:

  1. This is a masterful presentation of the fact that Jesus loves us and will follow after us. He draws us in and provides for us. Even when we move away He will court us with patience and His love. Thank you Jesus!

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful

    Blessings,

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete