HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/25/13

Put Some Muscle Into It...Tuesday


11/26/13

When I walk into the gym my eyes are greeted with various types of exercise equipment. Bicycles, weight lifting bars, treadmills, punching bags, a swimming pool, etc. Each piece is a tool designed to equip me with body strength. I have to pay a price financially and physically to make use of these items. I pay the price because I want to be stronger and therefore healthier.

As believers God has given us a special strength in the power of His Holy Spirit. We can't buy it - it is a gift from Him to His children to equip us to be strong in the Lord. The cost? Zero, zip, nada. But there are some maintenance fees. Our effort is required in this venture. Just like sitting on a weight bench won't make me physically stronger, keeping a Bible on the table won't make me spiritually stronger.

To be successful in the gym or in my spiritual walk, I need to use self-discipline.

 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run,
but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize.
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.
They do it to get a crown that will not last,
but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:24-25 NIV  
 
To gain strength, I must press beyond my natural limits, and put some muscle into it, whether my body or my heart is quivering with the exertion. I must not give up but determine to be steadfast.


But Daniel resolved not to defile himself
with the royal food and wine,
and he asked the chief official for permission
not to defile himself this way.
Daniel 1:8 NIV
Whether it's bible study group or a class at the gym, having company as I pursue my goals is a positive reminder that I am not alone. But even if no one is with me, or I feel alone, I have a promise from God to encourage me.


Therefore, since we are surrounded
by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance
the race marked out for us,
fixing our eyes on Jesus,
the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
For the joy set before him he endured the cross,
scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV

No matter where we are physically or spiritually, in this race that we call life, this is the one thing we can always hold onto:

 For it is by grace you have been saved,
through faith
—and this is not from yourselves,
it is the gift of God
—  not by works, so that no one can boast.
For we are God’s handiwork,
created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:8-10 NIV

Thank You Lord! For the grace and faith you so freely give to each of us. Please help each of us to accept Your loving gifts. Amen!

Written by Sandy Schott


Misty Edwards performing "I Will Run":
http://youtu.be/kUcrJqGdPSg  

2 comments:

  1. When you run the race right you have so much to consider.In the end you have won a prize;

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I know I could stand to do a better job, staying "in training" so that I am ready in every season, for the work God has for me. Thanks for the great reminder Sandy, and for those awesome Scriptures!

    ReplyDelete