HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8/25/15

Why You Are Special....Tuesday

8/24/15

As my kids were growing up, they were often trying to show how they were the best at something. Baseball, running, climbing, hiding, and routine activities turned into competitions. Even though we worked very hard to assure each and every one how unique and special they were to us - they had to choose to accept and believe it. 

When watching Disney's "The Incredibles" 2004 movie, this exchange caught my attention: 
Dash: You always say 'Do your best', but you don't really mean it. Why can't I do the best that I can do?
Helen (Mom): Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we gotta be like everyone else.
Dash: But Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of, our powers made us special.
Helen (Mom): Everyone's special, Dash.
Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

The son's closing comment reminds me that many of us have a natural desire to shine. We want to be special. Then as we strive to be unique, there is pressure to fit in. 

I know what I really desire is to be approved. Yet the idea of being the best at something seems to promise wide approval/acceptance. The problem I have dealt with when striving to be my best has been confusing it with being the best. The struggle to balance acceptance of self and the desire to do better has been an ongoing challenge. Even today I have to stop and ask myself: am I doing what is important, am I spending time with who is important, and am I finding contentment in who I am in Christ and not in what I have. 

So even though I completely relate to the desire to show how great I can be on my own, and I understand Dash's exasperation, God's Word assures us:


"...let’s just go ahead and be what we were made to be,
without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves 
with each other, or trying to be something we aren’t.
 If you preach, just preach God’s Message, nothing else;
 if you help, just help, don’t take over;
 if you teach, stick to your teaching;
 if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don’t get bossy;
 if you’re put in charge, don’t manipulate;
 if you’re called to give aid to people in distress, 
keep your eyes open and be quick to respond;
 if you work with the disadvantaged, 
don’t let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them.
 Keep a smile on your face."
                Romans 12:5b-8 MSG



Written by
Mary M. Wilkins

2 comments:

  1. I have a saying that I use when someone is feeling down on themselves,,,"God didn't make no junk." Another saying that I heard from a former Pastor's wife several years ago, "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it." The meaning of the first quote is obvious. The second also can be applied to it, Please think about it.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, This is so hard. Believing that we are special and meant for greatness; and accepting our place in life with humility. Some days, my heart cries out, "Look At Me!", but I do not want to be stared at. I just want to know that someone sees me! And then, I remember, that the Lord has always seen me. I want to do my best to hear Him speaking to me when I am feeling unnecessary...

    ReplyDelete