HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/5/11

TEARS

All of us have times when we cry. Sometimes they are tears of joy, other times they are tears of sadness. Crying can be very cleansing, not only physically for the eyes, but also emotionally for the soul.


We often say it is OK to cry, but we also may have difficulty allowing the tears to flow freely. We may try to hold them back to appear strong, or in control of our emotions. Perhaps we don't want a frightened young child to feel there is not an adult to lean on, so we don't want to appear weak when they are also in distress. It is possible that when we were young we were ridiculed or even abused when we cried, so we taught ourselves to not let those emotions show on the outside. There are also some societal taboos on crying. Sometimes when a person is crying, other people may say, "Don't cry; it will be alright." Or when we cry and someone hands us a box of Kleenex, we may take that as a silent way of them saying not to cry because it distresses them. But crying is a natural part of being human, and there truly is nothing wrong with it. Even Jesus cried when he heard that his dear friend, Lazarus, had died as we read in the shortest verse in the Bible. Certainly if our perfect Lord cried, it is alright for us also to do that.

Jesus wept. John 11:35 NIV

Our mourning may be for losing someone close to us in death, or it may be for losing other things in our lives such as friendships, or the security of a job, or even our health. Each time there is a transition in our lives, there is a loss of one thing to make room for something new. That can be stressful, even when the new thing appears to be a good change. We may cry for the loss of the old while at the same time shed tears of joy with the receiving of the new. Weddings come to mind. Sometimes we cry out of fear of possibly losing something, before it even occurs. Whatever our crying is for, we know that God hears us and listens with compassion.
When they cry out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate. Exodus 22:27b NIV

Faithful Christians will have times of sadness and crying; that does not mean they are not being "good" Christians or not trusting God. It is good to cry, to let the emotions flow, to feel the sorrow, because then we can move forward - not necessarily forgetting the pain, but allowing us to move on and grow from it. We can always be assured that God hears our cries of distress, and that He will be with us in our sorrows. He will provide what we need to get us through and will rescue us from our troubled times. He does this because He loves us. All we need to do is not turn away from him or reject his help.

The righteous [faithful] cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; Psalm 34:17-19 NIV
God is stronger and more powerful than anything this world can dish out. When he rescues us, we can still praise his name which can be a very powerful and positive witness to others.

I love you, LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies. The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. Psalm 18:1-6 NIV

And in the end our Lord and Savior will be with us forever to comfort us in heaven. That will be a glorious day!
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:3-4 NIV

Father in Heaven, I thank you for always being there for me. I cry out to you in my distress. My tears are like baptismal waters, washing out the pain. Rescue me from my troubles, Lord. Be with all those who are in sorrow. Let them feel your presence and know your compassion. May we then witness to your great love and deliverance. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Written by Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment