HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/21/11

Advice to Myself

Devotional for October 22, 2011

I heard on the radio the other day women calling in with their answer to the question, “What piece of advice would you give your 16 year old self?” It was inspired by a book a woman wrote where she is doing just that. I thought a lot to myself about the kind of advice I would give, and there isn’t as much as I thought there would be, and for good reason. Still I thought it would be interesting to jot down just one piece of advice I would give to myself at each age of adolescence that I feel I would have listened to at that age.

I began with age 7 because prior to that I don’t think I would have listened to any wisdom. I would have just replied, “I don’t understand what you’re saying, but can I have a cookie?” So, here it is beginning with age 7 and ending at age 19.

To my 7 year old self, I would have said, “Yes, it’s true. You have no sisters, and Mom’s not having any more babies. But this brother of yours and your two bratty boy cousins you spend so much time with who tease you for being a girl, smell gross, put pollywogs down your pants, and race motorcycles with you…they’re preparing you for three other very important boys that will someday be a part of your life, so appreciate what you learn from them.”

To my 8 year old self, I would have said, “I know your cousin, Stephanie, is a big bully, but she really loves you, and someday will be one of your best friends, so forgive her now.”

To my 9 year old self, I would have said, “God wants you to be a leader, not a controller, so stop bossing your friends around.”

To my 10 year old self, I would have said, “These curves that you’re developing faster than all the other girls…it’s just a short moment of glory, so don’t let it go to your head.”

To my 11 year old self, I would have said, “Those sexy movie scenes you keep sneaking peeks of on the cable channels…get ‘em out of your head! There’s no real love there. It’s all a trick so that you’ll never know the truth of God’s plan for you and your husband.”

To my 12 year old self, I would have said, “All these boys who are horribly mean to you…most of them will someday be old and pathetic, so don’t let them get to you.”

To my 13 year old self, I would have said, “Now that you’re gaining weight and everybody else has a better figure than you…relax…it’s only their moment of glory.”

To my 14 year old self, I would have said, “That guy, that charming guy at the amusement park, flirting with you, trying to lure you away from your girlfriends…RUN!!”

To my 15 year old self, I would have said, “The principal of that private school who wants to kick you out because he thinks you cheated in math…he’s going be fired real soon, and someday you’ll earn a college degree in accounting, home school three future engineers, and make extra cash tutoring algebra.”

To my 16 year old self, I would have said, “The principal of that public school who’s trying to talk you into staying…she really only wants you there because you scored so high on the test and you make her school look good.” Then I would say, “That decision to go on independent study was a good decision. You’re not a drop out. You’re not a loser. God’s preparing you to home school your own kids.”

To my 17 year old self, I would have said, “Forget about your thoughts of Hollywood. God has much much bigger plans for you.”

To my 18 year old self, I would have said, “This baby that you just gave birth to…you were right to keep her…she’s going to change your life forever…for the better!”

To my 19 year old self, I would have said, “Yes, this is the one you’re going to marry. This is the love of your life. So be patient.”

Well, that’s about it. But really, most of the advice has to do with thoughts and feelings…not so much with choices made. I know that regardless of my choices made, God has used each one to teach me something. He has brought me through exactly what He knew was the best for me. He interceded…no doubt way more often than I realize…but with regards to the times that He did not intercede, I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I were to go back and change anything, even the things that were painful. I guess mostly what I regret is a lot of wasted worry, wrong feelings and unnecessary fears.

Amie Spruiell 10/21/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment