HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/20/11

DETOURS

for Sunday 11-20-11

There is always a lot of road construction going on in big cities - on the highways and the city streets, etc. I was traveling on a highway this weekend that circles around the city on 3 sides. First I had to travel south on the western-most portion, and later I was going to travel back north on the western part and then east on the most northern part. They are in the process of re-doing the entire highway, adding lanes etc. Each weekend they close a different portion at different times. I always forget to check what part is being closed before I make my weekend trek. As I was traveling this road rushing to my first destination, I saw a changeable highway sign that had posted on it an upcoming closure. It said it would be closed that day from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. I quickly checked the time on my watch - 6:11 a.m. - and I thought - "Oh no! Now I'm really going to be late - to both my destinations!" I also thought the last time I tried to just follow the traffic through to the closure and follow the detour, the backup was horrendous. So this time I figured I would take the exit before the point where it was closed. So off I went, onto a side road, with stop lights, lower speeds, etc. Luckily it was close enough to the highway that I could see at the next exit/entrance it actually was NOT closed! So I jumped back onto the highway and had only lost about 5 minutes. Then on my way to my next destination I saw a sign that the other direction was reduced to 1 lane in the same area. so I took a different highway to pick up this route on the north side. But wouldn't you know it, the highway was closed at that spot also! Now I was getting frustrated. I took an alternate road again and finally made it, though half an hour late.

In the Bible we find an example of a time when God detoured someone, but they fought that detour. The Lord told Jonah to detour to Nineveh to tell them their evil ways were not pleasing to God, but Jonah had different plans. He thought he could escape that detour by making his own changed route, to run away from God's plans. But it was futile. The Lord made sure he had a fishy experience that put him back on God's track! Jonah's prayer was still heard, in spite of his trying to run away.

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. He said: “In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry." Jonah 2:1-2 NIV


Our lIfe can be a lot like that of Jonah's. We travel our road, through it's twists and turns, stops and starts, and sometimes we run up on an unexpected Detour. God may have a certain path laid out for us, but we are unable to fully see what his plans are. So, sometimes we make decisions to go around the detour - not follow the path God has mapped out for us in advance. We may think we are right, or feel as though we know a better way than what faces us ahead. But many times when trying to avoid the detour, we only make things harder or worse. Sometimes we may even be able to look in the rear-view mirror in retrospect and understand it. There is nowhere to run away or to hide from God and his plans for us.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Psalm 139:7-10 NIV

So through the twists and turns and detours of your life, remember to always leave the guiding to God!

written by Jan Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment