HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/10/11

Give Honor to Whom Honor is Due

I had the opportunity to ask a Veteran how he will honor our national holiday, Veteran’s Day, on November 11. “I fly the flag and this year I am making a visit to a VA Hospital to personally say thank you to some of the patients. As a nation, we don’t love our Veterans. All I have to do is think back to how the military men and women who came home from Vietnam were treated. They were spit upon, booed and despised. We need to show our appreciation all year long. Every time I see an active duty soldier I shake their hand, look them in the eye, and say thank you.”

It feels a little awkward to me to say thank you when I see a stranger in their military uniform. I want to speak to them but I worry that they’ll think I am weird. (Proof that some parts of high school insecurity are with me yet!) Thanks to the efforts of many groups, it has become easier than ever to show our thanks and support to American troops. The USO, Blue Star Moms, Adopt a US Soldier, are just a few organizations making it possible for us to show our appreciation not just on Veteran’s Day but all year long. I typed “show USA troops your support” in a search engine and found a long list of groups doing their part to help those of us at home connect with active duty personnel. There is even a new Facebook page where we can leave appreciate messages for the troops in harm’s way.

A few years ago, I watched 200 soldiers graduate from a boot camp. We all applauded their success, but only half of them had someone in the stands taking pictures and smiling for them. During my son’s deployment, as I filled a care package, I thought about the soldiers who for one reason or another don’t have someone here at home sending them a box of goodies. Reminders which show that someone cares about them and thanks them for choosing to serve our country by doing what is asked of them. So I doubled up on sunscreen, toothbrushes and other sundry items and tripled the candy supply for my son to share.

I don’t like war and I wish there could be world peace. But since there will always be someone who wants what doesn’t belong to them and who would abuse and misuse nations we will always need a dedicated group of individuals who are willing to do whatever it takes to protect our country, defend the defenseless, and help those in trouble all over the world.

You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars.
 See that you are not frightened,
for those things must take place,
but that is not yet the end.
Matthew 24:6
(NASB)

Render to all men
their dues.
[Pay] taxes to whom
taxes are due,
 revenue to whom
revenue is due,
respect to whom
respect is due,
 and honor to whom
 honor is due..

Dear Lord, please help me to remember to pray for and honor those who would die for this nation and therefore me. It is easy for me to forget there are some who would take over this country if they could. Please protect all those who are in harm’s way. Give them wisdom, alertness and insight before each step. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

1 comment: