HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/31/12

Thursday Devotional...11/1/12...Movie Magic Within My Reach



It is official! Halloween is now behind us and the holiday frenzy may begin. I am excited because I am only 22 days away from watching Christmas movies. We have a family tradition of playing “The Christmas Story” movie (the tongue stuck to the flagpole one) in the background while we do Thanksgiving dinner prep work. Then, thanks to the convenience of Netflix, Redbox, and the $5 dollar movie bin at WalMart, I can have my fill of Christmas movies throughout the holidays.


I like the stories where people find connection with others: where family members come home, the soldier finds peace, the teenager finds acceptance, and the guilty finds forgiveness. I am spellbound by the incredible healing power of an invitation, an embrace, or an apology. It is amazing how the evil spells of pain, rejection and isolation are broken by the power of God’s love through the words and actions of others. It is surprising how the smallest action of faith taken by one can affect someone else’s life.

Stories like these in many Christmas movies inspire me to look around to see if there is someone within my reach who would be glad for my extended hand of friendship. I think it is fear of rejection and fear of opening a can of worms that keeps me from reaching out. I don’t like rejection or trouble so why should I risk running into either one?

In Matthew 25:34-40, Jesus is explaining to his disciples what it will be like when the Son of Man comes again and sits on His Holy throne:

Then the King will say to those on his right (his sheep, believers), ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom.
 It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation.
 And here’s why:



I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and
you gave me a drink,
I was homeless
and you gave me a room,

I was shivering
and you gave me clothes,
I was sick
and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.’

“Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’


Dear Lord, please help me to put aside my hesitation about reaching out to others. Please open my eyes to recognize who You would like me to be a friend to: whether a beggar on a corner, a struggling family, a neighbor, or even someone in my own family. Please help me to know how I can show them Your love and mercy in a new way. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment