HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/25/12

Thursday Devotional...WELCOME BACK

                                                                               ...and WELCOME HOME

When I first heard the story of the prodigal son I was 11 years old and it ticked me off. I was the oldest child in our family and the most obedient, not perfect mind you, but I looked good. I did lots of right things, but honestly I did them because I liked how doing them made me feel. I enjoyed the praise and compliments. When I heard the story of the disobedient son who claimed his inheritance early, broke his parent’s heart, and then was welcomed back as if he’d done nothing wrong: I was in disbelief!

My first thought was: “That’s not fair.” How come he can get everything he wants, then come back, and the father runs to meet him on the road, puts nice clothes on him (and a ring!) and then calls for a major feast and celebration. My thoughts were very dark and brooding as I pondered “What’s the point of being good, if being bad still gets the same reward?” The next verses show that the prodigal son’s brother felt the same way! Even though the father assures his older son that everything the father has belongs to this son it just never seemed to make sense to me. Then two things happened.

First of all, I got older and my choices and experiences proved that I wasn’t “all that good” after all. Suddenly I could appreciate the prodigal son’s situation as I needed forgiveness myself. Instead of considering the father soft and foolish I was thankful for his mercy and his acceptance of his wayward child.

Second, I was blessed with children. An awareness of the overflowing love of God washed over me as I held my child in my arms. Then I was worried during my second pregnancy that I wouldn’t be able to love this child as much as I loved the first one. Little did I know that a parent’s heart expands with each child. Then I began to truly understand the open and loving arms of the Father for each one of us.

Luke 15:10
In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence
of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.
(NASB)

1 Timothy 1:15
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance:
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.
 (NIV)

Romans 8:38-39 
For I am convinced that neither
death nor life, neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future,
nor any powers,  neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us
 from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(NIV1984)

Dear Father, thank You for the example of the prodigal’s father as a picture of Your unconditional love for us. I still find selfishness hiding inside of me. Thank You for Your Word that reassures me that I can never fall so far away I can’t get back to You. Please help me to remember all You have forgiven me for so that I may have the courage and loving attitude to extend open arms and a welcome home to everyone You bring across my path. In Your name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

A very cool song by the band Unspoken, titled “Who You Are”:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_BLbj5q8_0

No comments:

Post a Comment