HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/16/13

Devotional for 1/17/13


Putting Away Christmas

I really do not want to put away Christmas decorations, ever. Each year I face this same dilemma. When our schedule is full, I am not disappointed that there is no time for packing things up. Yet as I cross off another day in January it is a looming reality that I must face.

I ask myself why I have this issue, and, of course, the first answer is, I am lazy. I just put all this stuff up and dusted and tucked cute things into little corners. I really do not want to take it all down again so soon. Then there is the sentimental part of me that likes the extra color and all the meaning that each bit of décor represents. Just like a dusting of snow can make the messiest yard look beautiful, the lights and colors of Christmas can make life look beautiful.

Christmas is special. It is when mankind is encouraged to stop looking at ourselves and our own needs and desires. We are asked to tend to the needs of the poor and hungry; put away our own schedules and agendas.  Each of us has the opportunity to accept, embrace, and remember the Light has come.



In some ways, Christmas decorating covers a multitude of problems. It can distract us from walls that need painting, carpets that need cleaning, or furniture that could use replacing. The focus of the holidays on going to church and spending time with family and friends can even sidetrack us from our own relationship struggles, work challenges, or financial issues.
 


Arise [from the depression and prostration in which circumstances have kept you—rise to a new life]! Shine (be radiant with the glory of the Lord), for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you!

Isaiah 60:1 Amplified
 

I know it will take more effort on my part, once all is cleared, and the day to day items resume their places, to remember that every day is a gift of life from the One who Loves us so much. More importantly, to remember that the gift of life each day is of value, even when the routines of our lives make it look like no day is any more special than another.


I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]

John 16:33 Amplified

Dear Lord, Thank You for the beauty of traditions and the life changing power of Your Truth. Please help us to be strong and to take courage when things are going bad for us, for You are with us. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary,
    Because I had to get ready to go to Bangladesh I dleaned up the decoratios early...sometimes they ate hanging around to the end of Januart. I did not want to put them away so early because I love seeing then around and love the memories they bring of Christmases past and people who are no longer around. Still the season has ended and we need to move forward to celebrate the real reason for the season as we head on toward Resurredtion Sunday.

    Good write my friend. God bless!

    ReplyDelete