HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/4/15

How Not to Make and Keep A Resolution.....Monday

Let me clarify, I have never fully kept a resolution I made for a New Year. So this year I told myself to not make any resolutions. Five days into January and so far so good: I have no resolutions. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. I do believe this is going to be a very good year.

Having a bit of a background in perfectionism, performance based self-worth, and a love for list making, my resolve to not resolve is actually requiring effort for me. I can remember receiving a diary for Christmas each year as a young girl and filling in the first page with my resolutions. I usually wrote in the lockable book only about 6 more times each year but I always re-read the list that I never accomplished. 


Was it me? Or the list? Were the goals too broad and undefined? Did I need support and didn't know how to get it? Or was I trying to change my way of being and doing in order to achieve a perfect vision I had for myself? 

As I continue with my effort to resist resolution thinking I know I will face tougher situations than the past 5 days have brought to me. The real work will come as I face times where I will be tempted to change or fix myself or others! But I know that it is not possible to do either:

And I am convinced and sure of this very thing,
that He Who began a good work in you
will continue until the day of Jesus Christ
[right up to the time of His return], 
developing [that good work] 
and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.
Philippians 1:6 AMP

 For God is at work within you,
helping you want to obey him,
and then helping you do what he wants.
Philippians 2:13 TLB

When I am at my saddest and loneliest, I am desiring one thing in particular: to be loved and accepted no matter what kind of mess I am in. There is One who loves each of us in exactly that way even when those around us are not:


 What can we ever say to such wonderful things as these? 


If God is on our side, who can ever be against us?


Romans 8:31 TLB




He is merciful and tender toward those who don’t deserve it;


 he is slow to get angry and full of kindness and love.


Psalm 103:8 TLB





Dear Lord, thank You for a new year. May we live each day aware of Your love, and may we choose to share Your love and kindness with those who cross our paths- not for our own agendas and desires, but simply because the greatest of these three things: faith, hope, and love, is love. In Jesus name, amen.





Click to hear Hillsong perform "I Surrender "




Written by Mary M. Wilkins


1 comment:

  1. Thankk you Mary for this well thought out writing about the new year and how to face it to improve. KLove posted a suggestion that a person pray for a word that will be their word for the year...a word that will give the cornerstone to what is done and will lead us through God's participation to find ways to be better and to experience growth.

    God bless,,,

    ReplyDelete