HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/18/15

Mind Control.....Monday

Movies and books convincingly present some negative and quite terrifying versions of mind control. However, a quick review of my top thoughts and most frequent concerns over the past week confirms that I am in need of some serious mind control.

What if he doesn't achieve? What if she procrastinates and misses out? What can I do to help? Maybe if I did this or that, perhaps they could.....and on and on, my thoughts stumble and repeat filling my mind with fears and worry about my loved ones and what could happen to them.

We take hold of every thought and make it obey Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5b NLV

Okay, I have heard of this "Take control of your thoughts" verse but how do I do this exactly?

For though we walk (live) in the flesh,
we are not carrying on our warfare according to the flesh
and using mere human weapons.
2 Corinthians 10:3 AMP

If this is a war in my mind, and I believe it is, then I am going to need some serious tools for the battle. My own weapons include talking myself out of worrying, and giving myself a pep talk about being positive. When I am tired or worn down, I even add self-criticism and self-condemnation even though 'I know that I know' that doesn't help anybody. 

Words kill, words give life;
they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.
Proverbs 18:21 MSG

I appreciate the dramatic yet simple version above of the scripture "Death and Life are in the power of the tongue." The bible also teaches that it's not just any positive words that bring life, but God's Words are perfectly designed to defeat the enemy.

 For the weapons of our warfare
are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood],
but they are mighty before God 
for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds.
2 Corinthians 10:4 AMP
Image result for image of bible
How To Fight This Battle:

First, to believe in the One who sent His Son to die on the cross for my sins is to belong to Him (John 3:16). If I am in Him, then He is in me (John 15:5). The One who is in me speaks to me and leads me (John 16:13a). But how do I tell the difference from my own thoughts and the leading of His Holy Spirit? By knowing God's Word about the matter. God will never disagree with His own Words (John 16:13b).

Second, read God's Word every day. Think about what I've read (Proverbs 7:3). Then I will have His Truth to speak to myself each time I find myself pondering something with worry or concern. 

Third, have faith that God cares for me and those I care about (I Peter 5:7) and that I can trust and depend on Him.

Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord
with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your
own insight or understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 AMP

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for showing me the way to be free from worry and concern. Please help me to understand Your truth as I read the bible and to remember the words when I need them (John 14:26). In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Casting Crowns performs "The Voice of Truth"

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

1 comment:

  1. I think that no one can boast about having her mind under complete control. We all worry about our families and that they will keep on the path to life choices that render success. However, if we can add trust of God to our thoughts, relinquish worry, and give our concerns to Him we will be doing the best thing we can to achieve peace and to have the help of Someone who really can do something about the issues we fret about.

    God bless,,,

    ReplyDelete