HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3/21/12

Thursday Devotional...3/22/12

What is the Root of Patience?


That’s it! I have been working on an application all afternoon and now when I am almost ready to submit it – my internet connection is very slow. So slow that it won’t even load a page that I need. I had a deadline, a self-imposed one, but I wanted to finish this and now I am going to have to wait.

I consider myself a relatively patient person. My husband and I have raised five kids (the youngest is 14) and we are still married to each other. We have also embraced the company of 5 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 lizard.

Of course, I have loved all of them; people and animals. Really that’s the difference, isn’t it? When we love someone it’s that much easier to be patient with them. Wait a minute, could it be when someone loves me, THEN it is easier for me to be patient with them? Yep, since that was hard to write, it might be worth looking at more closely.

Let’s test this!

If I am feeling loved, then it is easier for me to return love. True.

If I am feeling loving towards someone then that love strengthens my patience with that person. True.

So when I am not “feelin’ the love” I am not quite so patient. True.

Even if I am trying to be patient on the outside, I am not feeling the peace of patience on the inside. True.

A few verses on love and patience:

1 Peter 4:8 (Amplified):
Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another,
for love covers a multitude of sins
 [forgives and disregards the offenses of others].

Proverbs 14:29 (NIV 1984):
A patient man has great understanding,
but a quick-tempered man displays folly.

Galatians 5:22- 23a (NIV 1984):
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy,
peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
 gentleness and self-control.

Galatians 5:22 (Amplified):
But what happens when we live God's way?
He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way
that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others,
exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness
 to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart,
and a conviction that a basic holiness
permeates things and people. We find ourselves
involved in loyal commitments,
not needing to force our way in life,
able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

Dear Lord, thank You for answers. I was impatient when my plans were thwarted by the internet connection and I surprised myself at my own frustration. I asked You for clarity about my impatience and You have shown me that I was depending upon and focused on what I could do. I could have “peace with patience” if I start trusting You in everything, at all times, big or little, keeping You and Your love in the front of my mind at all times. Thank You for loving me even while I struggle to grow and mature. In Jesus name, amen.

 

Written by
Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment