HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3/17/13

Devotional for 3/18/13

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Have you ever planted a garden? I have always thought that growing things was very cool. Whether it’s one of those cute little herb gardens you can keep on the kitchen counter or the acres of plants that spread across the horizon when you drive through an agricultural area this part of God’s creation is very beautiful.
As I consider what I would like to grow in my little suburban box garden this year, I try to figure out what I want to get out of it at the end of summer. Some things I choose because I will use a lot of them, like tomatoes. While other things I choose for fun, like carrots. Then I tuck some herbs into the corners for the pure pleasure and convenience of having fresh parsley or basil without having to run to the grocery store.

As I was thinking about all the types of plants I might grow in my backyard, I started to think about the plants I have growing in my heart. Even though I take time to pull them out when I notice them, weeds like selfishness, self-pity, resentment, impatience and pride still keep popping up.
In my garden box, after I have raked and watered the soil, if I walk away and don’t watch over it, it will soon be full. It will be full of tall and strong weeds. I have learned that I don’t have to plant weeds. They just blow in on the wind and take hold and start growing wherever they can grab a spot.


As I picture the weeds in my own heart I realize that they must be removed by hand, one by one, in order to not disturb the good plants growing there. Perhaps when I choose to not insist on my own way I am pulling a weed of selfishness out of my heart. But if I leave that spot bare, another weed will blow its way in. So I must plant a seed that I want to grow in its place: such as patience, forbearance, humility, generosity, self-control, or perseverance (see Galatians 5:22).
Investigate my life, O God,
find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me,
get a clear picture of what I’m about;
See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—
then guide me on the road to eternal life.
Psalm 139:23-24 MESSAGE
There’s more: God’s Word warns us of danger
and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
Or know when we play the fool?
Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
Keep me from stupid sins,
from thinking I can take over your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed,
scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.
Psalm 19:12-13 MESSAGE

Thank You, Lord, for watching over each of us. Please open our minds with understanding and gives us ears that will hear and eyes that will see, so that we will love mercy, do what is right, and remember that You are God and You are good. In Jesus name, amen.
Written by Mary M. Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment