HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/23/13

Every Time A Bell Rings.....Tuesday

Folding up a few dollar bills, the young mother leans over, explaining to her 8 year old daughter to take the money and put it in the red kettle where the Salvation Army bell ringer was greeting the store patrons with a smile. I watch the girl follow her mother's instructions with a shy smile on her face as she experiences the joy of giving.

I have heard it explained that God doesn't need our money - it is our privilege to give and participate in the miracles He does in blessing others. When we give from the heart God will bless it. As a young mother I would make myself be generous with what I had, even if it was just milk and peanut butter. As I look back, I see that we always had the basics.

Every time I hear a bell ringing, I think of the people the Salvation Army helps every day of the year through rehabilitation programs, work training, and many other programs. No matter where I am living, what I am driving, or what I am eating or wearing, I know that He has been very good to me. I thank the bell ringers for helping me to remember how blessed I am as I put some money in the kettle.

Happy is the generous man,
the one who feeds the poor.
Proverbs 22:9

If you help the poor, you are lending to the Lord
    and He will repay you!
Proverbs 19:17 NLT

Dear Lord, thank You for Your blessings this Christmas. Please help me to remember the poor are with us every day and always need our care. Even when I am feeling financially challenged may I remember to do what is right and keep my trust in You. In Your Precious name, amen.

An oldie but goodie performed by Glen Campbell, written by Bob Bennett: "Unto the Least of These"

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

2 comments:

  1. There is a price to pay that is difficult when you stand outside ringing the bells. Growing up in New England I remember those giving Salvation Army people standing bravely in the low temperatures to ring their bells. May they be blessed as they do it today even in the warmth of California.... "Whatsoever you do for the least of my people there you do unto me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I heard the bells on Christmas Day, their old familiar carols (?) play ----" A reminder of Whose we are during this season of costly gift-giving that we pay for later with "pain" as our financial means feel the stress. Our God, the only true and living God, paid a price for gifting us with the most costly gift - His son's death in our stead so we won't be separated from Him forever! Ring the bells! Shout with joy! Rejoice with each other and let it be known as a reminder to those who know the Good News - and to those who don't know - why we celebrate the Reason for the season - Jesus is the Reason it's called CHRISTmas!!

    ReplyDelete