HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/4/13

Giving Gifts at Christmas...Thursday

12/3/13


How do you choose presents? Do you consider price, usefulness, cool factor, wow factor or something else as your guide? I read about a dad who asked his kids not to give him any ‘thing.’ He explained that he had all the basics required in life, so he encouraged them to think outside ‘the box.’ One teen made him a plate of his favorite cookies; another washed his car and gave him certificates for future washings, another did a chore that his dad usually handled (I think it was washing house windows). I was impressed by this display of creativity and it really got me thinking about my own gift giving.

My mom taught that you purchase for someone else what you would like or what you are sure they would enjoy. This has been helpful through the years but not always successful. So, when gift cards became all the rage I was right on board. Even though it’s easier to be sure I am matching the right store/restaurant to the right person - this isn’t the answer for everyone on my list either.

When I started to consider my gift-giving with an eye for something outside the box my head hurt. But wait, my head hurt last year trying to come up with the perfect something for that wonderful someone! So I persevered in hopes the pain would ease and my gift-giving might be more personal this year.

I admit, looking over my list, the first idea came from that dad’s kids: homemade cookies, brownies or other treats. This food theme opened up all sorts of options: a package of favorite candies, a yummy treat like salami and cheese, salmon, or a package of premium coffee or tea bags. Clothes have long been appreciated by the dressy among us - but why not for the more practical person? I started another list of possibilities: a pair or package of high quality socks for someone who works in the cold or is on their feet all day, a jacket, work shirt, pants, even shoes or boots. Contributing to my friend’s and family’s warmth brought up the idea of cozy blankets, flannel sheets and comforters. Now, I see that I’ve gotten away from something I can personally make or do and back into purchasing. I do want to change my style of giving but I think it is going to be a gradual process.

If you are able to give gifts this Christmas season, I hope you will enjoy the pleasure of saying “I care about you” to your family and friends. If purchased gifts are out of the question, as they are for so many, remember that the most important gifts are always within reach. When my husband was unemployed during the Christmas season, my son told his sister, “I know it’s not a good thing that Dad doesn’t have a job, but I really like having more time with him.” Counting our blessings when things are good or times are tough helps keep our eyes on God’s gifts: life, love, family, friends, and forgiveness.

Three things will last forever—
faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.
I Corinthians 13:13 (NLT) 

Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. 
This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. 
If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? 
If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? 
As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. 
You're at least decent to your own children. 
So don't you think the God who conceived you in love 
will be even better? 
Matthew 7:10-12 (The MSG) 

Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God's Law and Prophets and this is what you get. 

Written by 
Mary M. Wilkin

3 comments:

  1. I love the suggestion in the last paragraph...it is a good gift plan as we plan our gifting. Such a gift would also be a gift to Jesus when we do this for another person.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent thoughts, uplifting thoughts, timely thoughts - we're celebrating my brother/law's 80th Birthday soon and his gift from my husband is a photo, one that reminds his brother of a particular incident in their youth and will bring a chuckle to others when the memory is recited as to the rest of the family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete