HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5/22/14

Living with Serenity...Friday

May 23, 2014

I am teaching myself to slow down – taking time to treasure my surroundings, my people and most of all, my God that has created this beautiful life for me to live.

Ecclesiastes 3:12
New International Version (NIV) 
 I know that there is nothing better for people
than to be happy and to do good while they live.

God wants us to be happy.  He wants us to live a life of serenity.  Sometimes I have done that much better than others.  During the times that I have done it better, have been the times that I have recited the “Serenity Prayer” to myself throughout every day.




God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I grew up with this prayer posted at my grandparent’s house; it has always been a staple of my life.  A few years ago, I was having a particularly hard time with something my son was going through; I just wanted to rescue him from this bad situation he was in. It was causing me anxiety and heartache, as I so badly wanted just to make it all better.  I decided to go to the gym to hopefully relieve some stress over the racing scenarios in my head.  I stopped at the store quickly to get a bottle of water.  Walking through the parking lot I saw something sparkly on the ground.  I started to walk past it, and then something told me to go back and pick it up, and as picked it up and turned it over, I got chills as I realized that it was a cross with the “Serenity Prayer” printed on it.  I knew right then that my son would be okay.  I knew that God was taking care of him, as well as taking care of me with reminding me that I could do nothing to change the situation. What I could do was have peace about it knowing that God was in charge.  I repeated that prayer over and over again as I did my work out on the elliptical machine.  I kept that cross in my car where I would see it every time I get in to go somewhere.  Today, I am reminded that I need to put the cross in my new vehicle.  I have been remembering to recite the prayer in my head, but it always warms my heart and puts a smile on my face to visibly see the prayer in print, and each time I see this cross it reminds me of how He saves us from all things…..even ourselves and our racing minds.

I don’t have the rest of the prayer memorized, but, I want to share it with you. It has amazing words to live by; the life that God planned for each and every one of us.  It is not our job to worry and control, it is just our job to live peacefully as we treasure all the moments we have been given, each and every one of them, day by day; the difficult and the joyous times are all gifts from God.  With His loving grace we will most certainly get through them all!
  
The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.


--Reinhold Niebuhr

Written by
Kelly Dobyns

1 comment:

  1. This is a very powerful and freeing prayer. We think we should be able to fix everything but that is just not possible. We realize that we are not all powerful we then start to beat ourselves. I think Kelly came up with something when she started to recite this prayer daily. It is such a good reminder to be realistic about what we can and what we cannot do.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete