HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/21/14

Perfect Impressions....Monday

Have you ever been to a child's performance? Whether it is a play or a recital, the charm is in the storytelling process not the quality of the performance. So when my husband jokingly gave his opinion of the acting skills in the movie I was watching, I rolled my eyes and tuned him out. The story line had me hooked.

"Perfect on Paper" a Hallmark channel movie, shows the risk we take when we judge people based on their list of accomplishments. Of course, as in all predictable romance stories, there is a young woman and 2 guys. Thanks to the creativity of the story teller choosing what to show us, we can see the good in both guys, but one of them looks better on paper. As time goes by, more is revealed, and we discover truths about each guy's character. A reminder not to judge a book by its cover, or even by the first few pages.

Far more important than choosing who to date, the story does a great job of showing us we are not very good judges. A great outfit, nice car, beautiful home, clean house, fabulous hair etc do not begin to tell us who people really are. Who someone works for, where they went to school. what promotion they received do not tell the whole story. These things are just props, angles, and incidentals in a larger picture surrounding who a person is on the inside.

If I made a list of everything I have ever done, then deleted the things I didn't want you to know about me, I could create lots of different and even perfect impressions of who I am. But bottom line is I am a sinner saved by His grace. Sometimes I am working hard to live a life that please Him, other times I am just thinking of how I can please myself.

But God's Word gives us a guideline for judging others:

"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged
Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you.
Forgive others, and you will be forgiven." 
Luke 6:37 NLT

So why do you see the piece of sawdust
in another believer's eye
 and not notice the wooden beam in your own eye?
Matthew 7:3 GWV

Dear Lord, please search our hearts and show us any specks or any beams in our own eyes. Please forgive for automatically accepting and embracing certain people with certain things on their list while at the same time dismissing or judging others based on first impressions without waiting for substance to show us who a person is. Thank You Lord for waiting so patiently as we very slowly grow up in Christ. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M Wilkins


A Story About Judging from Emanuella





3 comments:

  1. Forgive me Lord for my propensity to judge others, and thank you for seeing me through your Son's perfect eyes as your forgiven child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, thank You for reminding me to seek Your face in the faces around me. Please help me show You to those who look at me. Forgive me for the times I have put myself ahead of what You have for me. I pray, in Jesus' Name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for showing that some of our paradigms for approval / disapproval of our thoughts about others. I have found that there is always something endearing about each person that I get to know. Lord, help me to get to know more people to show me that my ideas of what is wonderful need to be aware of the many things that make a person special. Let me add an openness to my paradigm of what makes a person wonderful and a knowledge that there are endless reason to being amazing.

    ReplyDelete