HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/5/15

Living with the Unexpected....Monday

7/6/15

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," Charles Dickens wrote in 1859 as the opening line in A Tale of Two Cities. The book was well received and whenever I hear people talk about how hard and terrible things are today, in this time of economic and political struggle in our country, I think of this fantastic opening line and how in some ways things never change. I am especially comforted by the attribute of God that He is Omniscient. He knows all things.


Ecclesiastes 3:10-11 (NIV)

"I have seen the burden God has laid on men.
  He has made everything beautiful in its time.
 He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; 
yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." 


When an unexpected bill, relationship challenge, or unforeseen event throws a curve ball my way, I can choose (after my initial panic) to trust God still. He is not surprised nor caught off guard.

In Ephesians 3:20 (NIV) Paul tells us who to trust and worship: 

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us” 

So, if God is able, what’s up when no answer is forthcoming? This has been a question of much discussion since the beginning of man’s relationship with our Creator and one I am not able to answer satisfactorily. At this point in my life, I am striving to accept the unexpected as an opportunity to trust Him without ‘knowing’ or even ‘understanding.' 


Not being especially gifted in the patience department, this is a stretch for me. In order to do...resting in Him… I pray and repeat scripture to give myself a focus and something to hold on to. Verses like:

1 Peter 5:6-8 (NIV)
 “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

Romans 8:28 (NIV)
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” 

Truth be known, I prefer to ‘keep my ducks all in a row.’ I like the feeling of comfort I get from doing something. In my experience, the only time the unexpected is an issue is when it is not fixable by me. So when I say I am striving to trust, I mean I am literally teaching myself to rely on and accept the One who gave up His own son on the cross because He knows all things and how they will play out from the beginning to the end.

John 8:32 (NIV) 
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Dear Lord, thank You for watching over us and protecting us, even when we don't feel protected, and life is hard, we know we can hold onto You. We can choose to trust You. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins


Bill Withers performs "Lean on Me"

1 comment:

  1. In life there is only one thing that we can know will happen without a doubt. We know that we have the "unexpected" come up and have to deal with it. God will help us as these scriptures that Mary included say so.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete