HOW TO MAKE COMMENTS





PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!

All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it.Just give your name. Thanks!

You can also comment easily by checking the Reaction Choices in the blue box at the end of this devotional. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8/19/13

I Would Hate To Be Your Enemy....Tuesday


8/20/13

Placing the open book beside me, I sighed as I looked out the small window into the treetops. I was reading Johanna Spyri's story of "Heidi" for the first time. I thought to myself, if words can make you feel like you are somewhere else, such as in the Swiss Alps, then I want to write stories. I will write stories that help people to think about happy things. At age 9 my plan and purpose for my future seemed so clear and simple.

My love of words and my respect for their power to influence took a little turn off of this happy course as I entered my teens. I discovered that my accumulation of and way with words could be used to win arguments. If there wasn't a disagreement to win, not to worry, I could find one or make one.

A sense of power filled me as people would look at me in awe and say that "I should be a lawyer." But then I would be confused when, after speaking up about some injustice or defending a friend, someone would declare: "You are a great friend, but I would hate to be your enemy."

That seemed like a good thing, right? That people who would harm those whom I cared about should be concerned that I would not be silent. But I was standing on a shaky foundation, I was not sure about what was right and what was wrong. I had already asked Jesus to be my Savior, and I knew there was a verse about loving your enemies. Yet I wasn't trying to figure out if it was possible to love an enemy- I had seen first hand that if you don't fight back, the cruelty of people will become even worse.

I was 22 the first time I felt something like scales fall off of my eyes, and I began to see others, myself, and relationships from a different perspective than I had known. I started going to church regularly. Little by little, the Word of God washed away all the gunk, dirt, and trash that had blocked my vision and twisted my understanding.

I even began to learn how to love my enemies, which was a very good thing; since my worst enemy was actually myself.

You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’
and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’
 I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies.
 Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.
When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer,
 for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves.
 This is what God does.
 He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—
to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty.
 If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus?
Anybody can do that.
 If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal?
 Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
 
In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects.
Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity.
Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.
Matthew 5: 43-48 AMP


Dear Lord, I know that it is impossible to do any of this on my own. Only if I let go of pride, fear, and perceived rejection and allow You to be my central focus, will I even begin to be ready to grow in generosity and kindness. Please help me to do what my heart desires and what my flesh resists. In Jesus name, amen.

Written by Mary M. Wilkins

Press the Ctrl key (bottom left on your keyboard) and then left click on this link to see a nice You Tube video of Tenth Avenue North's song "Losing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5J7vis9GV8


4 comments:

  1. It is hard to forgive and to love our enemies, but to do so is to be like Jesus. The truth is that forgiveness benefits one who forgives way beyond the one who is forgiven. It is the high road.
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the only way you can go forward, otherwise your enemies will continue to control you. They will be like a sword in your side. By forgiving them you can then be free. They no longer can control you. Let God take care of your enemies. His wrath is far worse than anything you can think to do to them. Walk away in love, knowing you have done the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary...I always find your devotionals encouraging and challenging. We are called to a higher standard, and ultimately, to become like Jesus. This was a great reminder of how our words and actions can portray either God's loving and abundant grace, or show us becoming caught up in trying to right wrongs that our not our job to fix. Thank you God for forgiveness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of the time I wasted labeling anyone who did not agree with my self-absorbed perceptions as an enemy! Only to discover that they may have been reflecting what my fears told me to see.

    Learning to look through God's Filter of Love changes everything!

    ReplyDelete